Nursing homes don’t always conjure up the most appealing thoughts. However, today nursing homes can be beautiful residences with caring and devoted staff members looking out for the best for your loved one. Here’s a complete guide to nursing home info to make finding out what you need to know easy and low-stress.
What is a nursing home?
There are lots of terms thrown around today, from skilled nursing facility and nursing home to short term rehabilitation center and assisted living facility.
A skilled nursing facility may sounds like a nursing home, but they’re actually different. In a skilled nursing facility, there is more medical intervention – the nursing part means caring for patient who have strong medical needs.
In a nursing home, patients are often past an acute level of needing medical intervention and need help with any daily activity, such as feeding, dressing, and bathing.
However, in today’s jargon, these terms have often become interchangeable, and more interestingly, there are many facilities that have both functions with separate wings. So one large center may offer both skilled nursing care as well as nursing home capabilities.
Getting the necessary nursing home info
It can be complicated to get the right nursing home info. Here are a few tips:
- Get referrals. Ask your doctor or clinician to recommend a facility, and then ask around. Approach people you trust who have already entered this stage of life and speak to people who have a healthcare background who have the knowledge to weigh in on the matter.
- Consider your personal needs. Facilities may have specific specialties that might make one a more suitable option than another.
- Think about location. You will want to be close enough to family members that they can come and visit, and you might like one location more than another based on the neighborhood.
- Of course, get online and visit web sites. See what you can pick up from a web search, and compile a list that you plan to visit.
Planning your visit
Once you’ve whittled down your list, now’s the time to visit the facility you’ve chosen, or the ones on your shortlist, to get a feel for the place. It’s important to speak to the staff about your or your family member’s specific condition and requirements and see what they can offer to accommodate you, and what resources they have to meet your needs.
Here are some things to pay attention to:
- Do the residents seem happy? Do they seem well-attended to?
- Is it a clean and modern environment? Has it been the same for the past few decades, or has the administration invested in keeping it up-to-date?
- Is there an activity schedule for the residents? Is there a well-sized and well-stocked activity space?
- Does the food look appetizing? Is it served to the patient on time with the right dietary requirements?
Sinai Post Acute Care boasts a full range of services in a large, modern and up to date facility with an experienced and dedicated staff. Speak to one of our representatives to get more nursing home info and see how we can meet your needs.